![]()
|
All the places where our library has ever been situated
Prof. Willenberg lived in Saxon House on Mala Strana at
that time. This house still stands, it is the first house on the
left side of Mostecka street ( coming from the direction of the Charles'
Bridge towards Malostranske Square), adjacent to the Malostranska Bridge
Tower. There is a commemorative plaque on the house which gives
information on the history of the house, however, there is no
mention of the seat of the professorship of engineering.
In 1720, Prof. Willenberg moved, along with the library,
to the Old Town in response to students complaints that the journey across
the bridge took up too much of their time (they lived in colleges
in the Old Town). He moved to a house on the corner of the
Liliova and Anenska streets which was
called the Tailors' Guild Inn (popina sartorum) at that
time. The house still stands, it is the house on the right-hand corner
of Liliova and Anenska streets coming from the direction of Liliova
Street to Anensky Little Square.
On 01/03/1726, Prof. Willenberg retired and Johan Ferdinand
Schor was appointed to the new professor. The students
started to visit the apartment of Prof. Schor in the house
At the Golden Wreath on Small Square and thus the library was
moved there. It was the middle one of the 3 houses which
were demolished in the year 1906 and today the house
on the corner of Small Square and Linhartska Street stands in its place.
On 13/02/1767, Franz Leonhard Herget was appointed
to be the third (and the last) professor at the Estates' Engineering
School. The place of teaching and library moved to his apartment
in Broumov House on Kozi Little Square. This house was
demolished around the year 1900 and the building which
is the seat of the Mining Bureau stands approximately in its place.
After 1776, Prof. Herget lived in the house
on the corner of Old Town Square and Melantrichova Street (Sirkova
Street at that time) where the school and its library were
situated in a large room, full of light, on the 1st floor. The
house still stands, it has been renovated and we can see the windows
of this room from Old Town Square. In 1786, the building of St. Wenceslas' Seminary in Husova Street (Dominikanska Street at that time), which was vacated by the abolished Jesuitical Order, was assigned to Prof. Herget by the provincial estates as the Estates' Engineering School, that is, as the seat of the professorship of engineering.
In this building, the Estates' Engineering School was transformed
into the Estates' Polytechnic Institute in 1806. This was
divided into two institutes a Czech institute and a German institute
in the year 1869. The German institute, called the German
Technical University from 1879, remained in this building
until it was abolished in the year 1945. The library which
was shared by both the Czech and the German Technical Universities
resided here until the year 1935. The house still stands,
it belongs to CVUT (the Czech Technical University) and there
is a plaque on it which commemorates the founding of the Estates'
Engineering School by Ch. J. Willenberg. In 1856, Prof. Jelinek
recorded in the Festschrift made on the occasion of the 50th anniversary
of the founding of the Estates' Polytechnic Institute that the
library had 3 rooms occupying a total area of 31.8 m2
on the first floor of the institute.
On 29/07/1864, the vicarious library official J. Sitte
informed the professor's staff that a study room for
students was ready to be opened; the rear part of the apartment
of the director of the institute was to be used for this purpose.
This had been vacated because, since the re-organization of the institute
based on its new status which was established in the year 1863, the
institute was no longer managed by a director, instead it was managed by a rector
who was elected by the staff of professors for the term of 1 year.
On 14/05/1935, the library was re-located in the
specially adapted space of the east wing of Klementinum
where the library has remained until today.
Funds of the Estates' Engineering School in Prague The text has been prepared according to pages 39 - 41 of the publication Rare Old Books in the State Technical Library in Prague. The selection has been made and is accompanied by an introduction and explanation by dr. Marie L. Cerna-Slapakova (Prague : State Ped. Publishing House, 1971. - 344 pages.)
In the estates' engineering hall in the building of St. Wenceslas'
seminary in the street which is called Husova today and which
was called Dominikanska at that time, many hundreds of models
from almost every technical field were concentrated in addition
to the collections of the former mathematics museum which were
kept in Klementinum.
These valuable holdings included an extensive collection of
maps and drawings and a technical library which had been collecting
scientific works both from Bohemia and abroad since the first
years of the operation of the engineering school. As early as
1801, professor Gerstner established that the
library included approximately 1,000 books, maps and drawings
when he took over the estates' engineering hall for the planned
establishment of the polytechnic institute. According to a later
report, preserved by K. Jelinek, the library of the former
engineering school contained 291 works in 338 volumes from the
fields of mathematics, mechanics and civil engineering and 236
works in 266 volumes from the field of warfare and fortification,
thus making a total of 527 works in 604 volumes.
The remainder of the 1,000 piece collection ( as stated by Gerstner )
consisted of the collection of maps and drawings.
The contents of the library were extensive. Not only was the
whole scope of the technical operations monitored but also
technical innovations in manufacturing, factories and,
last but not the least, developments in the world of art were
monitored so that the education of the domestic craftsmen and
artists could be guided accordingly. The greatest part of the
foreign literature collection was supplied through the Prague bookshop
of J. G. Calve, as documented by the invoices sent by
the polytechnic institute to the Provincial Committee and by the
lists of literature purchased each year.
Additions to the library and the collections started to increase
rapidly when the administration function was assumed by the talented chemist
Karel N. Balling, who was one of the most significant scientists
of the Prague polytechnic institute. He administered the library
with exemplary care from 1831 - 1865, that is,
over a period when the polytechnic institute in Prague had long
since outgrown the foundations which had been laid by Gerstner and his colleagues.
Balling, with his sense of organisation, was the first administrator to
arrange the library of the Polytechnic Institute. In some
cases, we can presume that he just strengthened the old well-established
order and from his reports, we can draw information on how the
library looked at the beginning of his period of office. The Festschrift of K.
Jelinek, published on the occasion of the fiftieth anniversary
of the opening of the Polytechnic Institute in Prague in 1856,
was issued at the time when professor K. N. Balling was still
active and therefore it can be presumed that he
had provided K. Jelinek with the report on the library.
According to this report, the library occupied three rooms on
the 1st floor of the building of St. Wenceslas' Seminary and was
always administered by one of the members of the academic staff
under the supervision of the directorship. For each department,
operations were arranged according to the department's scientific
field for which a certain financial amount was allocated
from each annual budget. During the times of Jelinek, this
amounted to an annual total of 800 golden coins. By
the end of the year 1856, the library of the Polytechnic Institute
already contained 3,745 works in 6,729 volumes, which were
supplemented by a further 426 works in 544 volumes in the library
of the former middle school which was associated with the
Polytechnic Institute.
Perhaps to Balling's greatest credit is the fact that
he gathered together all the institutes holdings, which where previously
distributed amongst the professors studies and seminary rooms. They kept
a register of books which related to the field of their teaching
and they supplemented their own holdings themselves, as is evident
from the preserved list of books relating to professor Steinmanns
area of teaching. Therefore, we can refer to a self-contained
library of the Polytechnic Institute only after Balling's
administration. This fact is also supported by a directive issued
in 1838 which stated that "the purpose of the
library of the Polytechnic Institute is to further educate the
academic staff and to acquaint them with developments in the field
of science and inventions. Outstanding students may be given
permission to use the library upon recommendation by a professor."
The most important later development concerning the
library, was the decision made in 1869 that after
the division of the Polytechnic Institute in Prague into a Czech
and a German institute, the library was to continue to serve both
institutions.
The library remained in the old building in the street which
was formerly called Dominikanska and which is called Husova today.
It suffered from a lack of space for accommodating the growing
holdings. This continued until it evolved into the Library of
Technical Universities which was moved to the wing of
Klementinum in 1935, which had been adapted specifically
for that purpose. In the holdings of this modern technical library, books and journals of the Estates' Engineering School and Polytechnic Institute were preserved as they had been arranged in the first third of the 19th century, not later than in the year 1831, when Karel Napoleon Balling was charged with supervising the library, at that time he was still an assistent professor, however, leter he was made a full proffesor. |